AyinBase / Ayin Beis with R' Paltiel 24 Elul, 5774
At the middle of page (line begins, “ohr...” @ umemayla) For text, click: Here or see below.
In essence the light is not reflective of it. There is nothing that compels the essence to produce light. And the light that the essence gives is not representative of any ‘quality’ of essence.
In this world physicality cannot be destroyed. This is because its presence is a gilui of essence.
We do say about the essence, that it is the First Being… and it does not have a ‘where it is coming from’. It does not beg the question of its origin.
And here are some great notes from Yehudah:
What I remember:
• Atzmus is unlike any other etzm, such as the sun or the nefesh.
• The sun and the nefesh each consist of some kind of definition. For example, the sun is essentially bright (bihiri) and the nefesh is essentially life (chai). This brightness and life, however, are essential not functional. This means that the essential brightness does not consist of light; similarly by chayus. Nevertheless when light comes from the sun, it is correct to say that this is a guili from the etzm. The functional light that comes from the sun is somewhat related to the essence of the sun because the essence of the sun is bright, albeit on a different realm than functional light.
• By atzmus, there is absolutely no definition.
• Last night, we spoke about the term “mechayiv.” Mechayiv means that its significance depends on it being recognized. We gave several examples. One was money.
• There’s much more but I don’t have time right now.
What struck me:
• The real significance of something does not convey just because the thing is there. We need to recognize it This goes with the term “mechayiv.” Someone can have money that can sit in the bank, but he totally doesn’t appreciate it or know the significance of it. The money requires that you recognize its significance. This is unlike a wall. It provides shelter whether you recognize it or not.
• Ohr that comes from Atzmus does not come from Atzmus automatically. It can’t because atzmus has no definition or quality whatsoever. Any ohr that comes from Atzmus comes because Atzmus wants it. Yet, we still call it ohr, which means that it reflects Atzmus. This is literally a contradiction, an impossibility. But Atzmus can accomplish the impossible.
• This ohr from Atzmus is so significant because it reflects a supreme reality.
• Earth matter is indestructible. This is so not because of the earth, but because the earth is a manifestation of Hashem’s will, which is infinite.
When we doven (pray), we don't share Hashem's attention with anyone else. Hashem wanted that His presence be totally present for everyone who dovens to Him.